Stephan leads our Digital Analytics group in the Americas, helping executives translate customer data into successful business strategy. With extensive experience enhancing online engagement, Stephan works with companies that face a driving imperative to build and sustain customer relationships on digital platforms—including Internet companies, digital advertising firms, retailers, and media outlets.
With his focus on using data to drive decisions, Stephan has contributed to the development of a number of analytical resources, including a tool to evaluate web and mobile performance, an e-commerce pricing engine, and a system for customer life cycle management that encourages customer repurchases and cross-shopping. He also helped develop our capabilities in design-to-value work, honing approaches for creating new products and services that deliver strong value to customers.
Examples of his work:
- optimizing the multichannel customer engagement model for a major e-commerce retailer
- improving digital engagement for a leading sports league
- designing a digital advertising strategy for a leading mobile video provider, including setting targeted advertising models and revenue approaches
- supporting a large media company in reviewing acquisition targets, building a digital advertising business strategy and acquisition road map, and driving post-merger integration
- developing a growth strategy for a digital advertising player, identifying market trends and building new products to capture those trends
Before joining McKinsey, Stephan worked as the vice president of product development for an infrastructure-software company in New York, and he conducted semiconductor research at the Spanish Research Council in Madrid. He has been a speaker at the policy forum at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research and at the Telecom Council's Mobile Forum.
“Unraveling the web: A new way to understand the online customer,” McKinsey & Company, May 2013
Vice president of product development
Columbia Business School
Technical University of Munich
MS, applied physics