Stephan has led McKinsey's Insurance and Asset Management Practice in Asia Pacific for the past ten years and has expertise in life, property and casualty and health insurance, reinsurance, and asset management. He advises local and global financial institutions across the region on topics ranging from general strategy and organization to market-specific areas of distribution, operations, and investments. Prior to focusing on Asia, Stephan served life insurance companies in Europe and the United States.
Stephan's recent engagements include:
- working with a global life insurer to develop a comprehensive strategy in Asia (including Japan, Korea, China, India, Southeast Asia, and Australia) to address local market plans and regional initiatives as well as organizational and talent implications
- creating market-entry and growth strategies for various multinational property and casualty and reinsurance companies in China, India, and Southeast Asia, including entry options, regulatory frameworks, organization, growth opportunities, and go-to-market strategies
- advising a leading insurance and financial services company in China on a multiyear strategic partnership and advisory, including business diversification, organization, business-unit strategies and implementation programs, web-based innovation and investment, and risk management
- supporting a life insurer in India on a multiyear program, focusing on optimizing the distribution model and addressing regulatory changes in the market
- working with a new entrant in the auto insurance market in China on a strategy for the direct market by engaging strategic shareholders and renewing the operating platform for scalability and efficiency
Stephan speaks at insurance conferences in Asia and is the author of two books on life insurance in Asia.
"The Life Journey China," McKinsey & Company, October 2015
"The Life Journey Korea," McKinsey & Company, October 2015
"The Life Journey Japan: Charting the course to value," McKinsey & Company, September 2014
"Growth under uncertainty: Trends, issues and outlook for China's life" (PDF-8.32 MB), McKinsey & Company, May 2012
Life insurance in Asia: Sustaining growth in the next decade, Wiley Finance, 2nd Edition, 2012
University of Münster
University of Witten/Herdecke
Masters, economic science