Sergey leads the Capital Projects & Infrastructure Practice in Australia. He serves clients in production-intensive sectors such as oil and gas, metals and mining, electric power, as well as in infrastructure development.
Sergey brings deep expertise in improving the efficiency of large capital projects through optimizing design, improving contractor management practices, applying best commercial practices in contracting and procurement, using lean approaches in the construction environment, as well as designing and running operational transformation programs.
His recent client experience includes:
- supporting a modernization program in refining for an oil and gas major with total capital spend exceeding $6 billion. This involved developing the project organization from scratch, including designing and helping implement a new structure, processes, systems and tools; developing contracting strategies; and implementing systems for value engineering, contractor and risk management
- optimizing construction projects in oil and gas and mining—both business case optimization prior to the Front End Engineering Design (FEED) stage, and technical design optimization at the FEED stage
- helping implement a “lean construction” system to accelerate major construction projects for oil and gas and mining clients
- supporting the optimization of a mine expansion project, using both commercial and contracting levers
- developing maintenance efficiency programs and installing reliability-centered maintenance systems for clients in oil and gas, power generation,and metals and mining
- working with a national ministry of energy to develop a strategy for the country’s oil industry, covering both upstream and refining sectors
- shaping recommendations for a national government to improve organization, processes, talent-management practices, analytic capabilities, and IT tools across its entire energy sector
Prior to joining McKinsey, Sergey worked at Schlumberger Oilfield Services as a research scientist, specializing in development of numerical methods for use in commercial settings. He has multiple research publications to his name, and holds a patent for a borehole acoustic measurement tool.
PhD, continuum mechanics