As a longstanding leader in McKinsey’s Operations Practice and the global leader of McKinsey’s Implementation, Robert partners with clients to produce rapid, significant, and sustainable results in cost, productivity, quality, and other metrics. For more than two decades, he has helped industrial company executives transform their company performance by driving capital productivity, boosting operational efficiency, changing company operating cultures from CEO to front line, and setting strategic direction. As a former chemical engineer, Robert is heavily focused on delivering operations improvements and driving impact in complex global organizations.
Robert has particular expertise in understanding the value of industrial companies and hidden opportunities. Taking a broad view of the interplay between strategy, operations, and capital planning, he advises private equity firms making and managing investments in the sector (with a focus on metals and mining). Employing a proprietary assessment tool he helped create, Robert helps clients evaluate the potential upside of making operational improvements, and to realize increased earnings by delivering improvements across a full range of operating levers.
Examples of his work include:
- conducting a broad-based performance diagnostic for a diamond producer and implementing recommendations in the areas of external spend, productivity, mine planning and strategy, and energy efficiency
- helping a US metals company address leadership and strategic challenges, with a focus on improving operational cash flow and working capital through a program of cost and productivity initiatives
- helping a global specialty chemicals manufacturer deliver productivity improvements in operations, purchasing, research and development, and overheard functions across five regions
- engineering the turnaround of a traditional gold mining company, guiding management as they reprioritized operational improvement efforts and redeployed working capital
- designing a turnaround program for a North American metals company, including new product strategy, organization redesign, M&A planning, and purchasing improvement.
Before joining McKinsey, Robert worked in Product Development and Plant Engineering in Procter and Gamble’s manufacturing organization. He currently serves on the board of the Colburn School of Music in Los Angeles and served on the Dean’s Advisory for the UC Irvine’s Graduate School of Business where he also is a guest lecturer.
Procter and Gamble Company
Product Development and Plant Engineer
Harvard Business School
BS, chemical engineering