Occo Roelofsen is a senior partner in McKinsey’s Amsterdam office. He specializes in the oil and gas sector, with a particular focus on exploration and production, and is also active in the power sector.
Occo is the leader of our Oil & Gas Practice in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, and heads our work on strategy and capital projects in the sector, developing tools and approaches for our clients worldwide and directing our research. In that capacity, he leads our thinking on global oil supply and demand and directs our work on historic drivers of growth for exploration and production companies and on transforming performance in capital projects and technology.
He has worked with clients across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Russia, and North America. His projects have included:
- advising on growth strategies and portfolio management, including reviews of growth areas such as unconventional gas and deep water
- developing energy scenarios and assessing their impact on gas and oil demand
- assessing the performance of capital projects and developing improvement plans
- supporting clients with organization design and designing operational improvement programs
- advising on technology strategies and the design of operating models in technology organizations
Occo has also worked on a wide variety of projects in the power and natural gas sectors on topics such as corporate strategy, market outlook, renewable energy, new business opportunities, organizational change, and capital projects.
Occo holds an MBA from INSEAD and a master’s degree in system engineering, policy analysis, and management from Delft University of Technology, with a focus on energy and process design.
“How technology is reshaping supply and demand for natural resources,” McKinsey Global Institute, February 2017
“Accelerating the energy transition: cost or opportunity?,” McKinsey & Company, September 2016
“Is peak oil demand in sight?,” McKinsey & Company, June 2016
“Never let a good crisis go to waste,” McKinsey & Company, (PDF–686 KB)
“Another oil shock,” McKinsey Quarterly, November 2011
“Oil and gas: New sources of growth” in “Africa’s path to growth: Sector by sector,” McKinsey & Company, June 2010
“Averting the next energy crisis: The demand challenge,” McKinsey Global Institute, March 2009
Delft University of Technology
Master’s degree in system engineering