Nils has more than 20 years of professional experience, the vast majority of it focused on restructuring still-viable businesses to address acute crisis situations and establish a return to long-term financial health. In the course of his career, he has successfully supported and managed more than 150 restructuring assignments.
In recent years, Nils has supported a range of businesses, including automotive suppliers; textile companies; retailers; engineering, procurement, and construction firms; machinery manufacturers; and a range of enterprises in the maritime industry. In the maritime context specifically, he has led end-to-end restructuring and transformation projects for a variety of shipyards over the past 10 years. These efforts require particularly broad-based advisory support: boosting operational performance, rethinking strategy, and finding more appropriate and sustainable financial arrangements.
The following are examples of his restructuring experience prior to joining McKinsey:
- leading the turnaround of a shipyard, including directing an operational-performance-improvement program and renegotiating financing
- directing the effort to restructure a medium-size shipyard, including negotiating new financing, orchestrating strategic repositioning, and shifting the fundamental production approach
- supporting the negotiation for rescue financing for an OEM, with the federal government and several commercial banks
- restructuring a wood processor, including post-insolvency measures and refinancing over 24 months
- leading the turnaround of a machinery producer, including implementation management and refinancing over 36 months
Nils was previously the global cohead of the restructuring practice at Roland Berger Strategy Consultants and has also provided professional auditing services. A regular speaker at professional conferences throughout Europe, Nils has published several articles and studies on restructuring topics. He is also the vice chairman of the board of the German chapter of the Turnaround Managers Association.
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants
University of Passau
Diploma, business administration; pre-diploma, history, political science, and history of arts