Michael is a partner with our Recovery & Transformation Services group, specializing in business transformations and turnaround situations. He has more than 20 years' experience working with companies across industries looking to drive rapid and dramatic improvements in their performance. He has held CEO, Chief Transformation Officer, and Deputy CEO mandates in Asia and has lived and worked in Southeast Asia for over 15 years.
Examples of his work include:
- as CTO, leading the mining turnaround program with Australia's largest open-cut thermal coal mine to rapidly drive cash generation through operational efficiencies and external spend optimization
- leading the industrial turnaround of Asia's largest integrated forestry, pulp, and paper company following the Asian financial crisis
- optimizing the capital spend on a proposed multi-billion dollar minerals refinery for a global mining company
- assisting in the transformation of a steel manufacturer that resulted in a 15 percent cost-per-ton reduction for all products at Australia's largest steel producer
- assisting the IMF and World Bank during the restructuring of the Indonesian banking sector following the Asian financial crisis
Prior to joining McKinsey, Michael was Deputy CEO of Asia's largest integrated forestry, pulp, and paper company and ran a principal investment business focused on early stage resource companies. Prior to that, he was a partner with McKinsey in Southeast Asia.
University of Canterbury
London Business School