Max leads McKinsey’s global Marketing & Sales Practice for consumer goods . In this capacity, he seeks to deepen our advisory support to consumer-goods companies as they address crucial challenges—for example, using smart marketing to enhance relationships with customers and boosting profitable top-line growth through effective commercial spending.
Max began his McKinsey career in our Milan office, in 2000, and transferred to our New Jersey location after receiving an MBA from Harvard, in 2003. He then spent seven years in Asia, where he led our Consumer Goods Practice in the region. The insights he gained into the Asian market inspired him to focus closely on the consumer’s buying behavior, which he continues to explore as one of the leaders of our Consumer & Shopper Insights team.
In his current consulting work, Max advises executives at global fast-moving-consumer-goods companies and leading retailers. He helps food and beverage, personal-care, home-care, and toy and game companies find new sources of growth by boosting performance in areas such as brand-portfolio management, product management, and the pursuit of global acquisitions.
Examples of his work include:
- helping an Asia-based conglomerate build a multibillion-dollar food business in the United States
- designing and executing a new global online strategy for a major toy and board-game manufacturer
- helping a multinational nonalcoholic-beverage bottler design and manage the transition process for an acquisition in the Philippines
- piloting and testing a new registered-trademark approach for a major confectionary company to ease the challenges of fragmented trade across borders
- setting a long-term global strategy for a major multinational beauty corporation, establishing a path for sustainable growth over the next decade
- revamping the go-to-market strategy for a top food and beverage manufacturer in North America
- revamping the product and brand portfolio for a major multinational food and confectionary corporation in China.
Max is a frequent author, publishing articles to help companies better understand the consumers they design products for and the retailers they partner with.
Before joining McKinsey, Max served in the Italian Army’s tank division as a first chosen corporal. He speaks Italian and English fluently, is conversant with French and Spanish, and has a basic knowledge of Mandarin.
“Chinese consumers: Revisiting our predictions”, McKinsey Quarterly, October 2016.
“Meet today’s American consumer,” McKinsey & Company, June 2016.
“Playing catch-up: How to partner with the retailer of the future,” McKinsey & Company, June 2016.
“Saving scrimping, and … splurging? New insights into consumer behavior,” McKinsey & Company, March 2016.
“Winning the battle for China’s new middle class,” McKinsey Quarterly, June 2013.
Harvard Business School
Undergraduate, international econometrics