Matt serves leading organizations in the materials and energy sectors, especially chemicals, oil and gas, and agriculture. He brings broad expertise in operations and strategy, with particular depth in capital projects and portfolio optimization, growth strategy, and lean operational improvement.
Recent examples of Matt’s client work include:
- helping an international chemicals company reduce its capital expenditures (capex) by 30 percent through an end-to-end capex transformation program that included portfolio selection, project optimization, procurement, and organization redesign
- supporting a multinational materials company to optimize its small and midsize capex-projects portfolio and build its capabilities, reducing capex cost by 25 percent
- designing ambitious growth strategies for multiple clients, including a market-entry strategy for a European chemicals company, a new product strategy for a diversified chemicals major, and a corporate strategy for a chemicals spin-off
- determining a capex investment strategy for a multibillion-dollar chemical plant for an oil and gas major
- leading a lean-manufacturing transformation for a chemicals company, reducing cost by more than 10 percent.
Prior to joining McKinsey, Matt performed academic research in materials chemistry with optical and sensing applications. He has authored or coauthored over a dozen published, peer-reviewed papers, which together have received more than 1,000 citations.
“Small equals big: Unlocking savings in small to midsize capital-project portfolios in chemicals,” McKinsey & Company, April 2016
“Meeting the need for a new supply chain in chemicals,” McKinsey & Company, April 2014
PhD, materials chemistry
BA, chemistry and chemical biology