Martin advises the leadership of pharmaceutical and medical products companies across five continents, with a particular focus on North America and Asia. As part of this advisory support, he works to rethink and transform the systems of some of the largest global companies, accelerating both effectiveness and growth. His work currently focuses on overall strategy, growth acceleration, and top team performance.
Given the sprawling and complicated dynamics of the healthcare sector, Martin is invested in the power of analytics to locate sources of efficiency. As an executive committee member of McKinsey Analytics, he guides pioneering efforts to help companies across the healthcare ecosystem capture the full potential of analytic insights and the digital revolution.
Martin’s expertise in analytics comes in part from his experience with marketing strategy. As the former leader of our Consumer & Shopper Insights Practice in the Americas, he enhanced our capabilities for working with data to better understand customer segments and behavior. He brings this expertise to his current work, often delivering insights into consumer dynamics within the pharmaceuticals and medical products sectors.
Examples of his recent work include:
- Developing a multi-stakeholder segmentation and a consumer activation plan for a major pharmaceutical company
- Helping the executive team of a major pharmacy develop an end-to-end big data strategy to drive the business
- Designing and executing a company-wide culture change and performance enhancement program at a pharmaceutical company
- Applying advanced analytics to enhance marketing and sales effectiveness across brands in Japan
- Leading a team to reallocate resources to bring breakthrough technologies to market quickly and at a reduced cost
- Fundamentally retooling a smaller company’s sales capabilities using advanced analytics based insights.
Martin oversees the consultant learning and leadership development program for our consulting staff worldwide. He joined McKinsey in 1993 with a background in law and international relations and serves on the boards of the Nature Conservancy and the Brooklyn Laboratory Charter High School.
Harvard Law School
Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich
M.A., international relations
University of Vienna
Diploma in international law and international relations
University of Chicago
B.A., political science