Dr. Laura Furstenthal is a key member of McKinsey’s Healthcare Practice, where she contributes her extensive expertise in clinical research and commercialization strategies. She serves clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical-device, and payor subsectors across the United States, Europe, and Asia.
Laura has contributed to a number of different healthcare projects for clients. Examples of her experience include:
- technology strategy and commercialization, where Laura has supported multiple leading technology companies to develop commercialization strategies for new products and new applications of cutting-edge technology in the healthcare industry.
- competitive-strategy projects focused on improving clients’ competitive position and optimizing competitive advantage in markets for biopharmaceutical and medical-device products. Laura brings extensive expertise in war gaming to these client efforts.
- healthcare value, where Laura assists payors, providers, and manufacturers to reduce overall healthcare costs and improve quality, including helping develop strategies for creating and partnering with accountable care organizations and patient centered medical homes.
- R&D strategy, which can include helping pharmaceutical and biotech players to transform their R&D performance through changes in portfolio, disease area strategy, governance processes, and operational improvement.
- mergers & acquisitions and postmerger management, where Laura has contributed to major efforts of global biopharmaceutical and medical-device manufacturers to plan and close deals of all sizes and to execute postmerger integration.
Laura also brings her clients significant experience in supply-chain operations to devise creative partnerships and new supply-chain models, as well as not-for-profit strategy.
She continues to work with a number of not-for-profit organizations, governments, and Nobel laureates on a wide variety of topics, from refining business models for children’s organizations, to designing global vaccination strategies for underserved populations, to developing interfaces between leading academic and industry organizations.
Laura has authored several articles for leading journals such as Nature and speaks regularly at healthcare industry and women’s leadership conferences. She also sits on the board of the American Diabetes Association.
“The outlook for personalized medicine,” (PDF—7.46 MB), McKinsey & Company, March 2013
“The microeconomics of personalized medicine,” a compendium published by McKinsey’s Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices R&D Practice, February 2010
PhD, cancer biology