As an expert with McKinsey’s Petroleum Asset Excellence unit, Khalil calls upon more than a decade of firsthand oil-and-gas experience to help companies across Asia, Europe, and the Middle East improve operational performance in highly competitive markets and challenging physical environments.
Since joining McKinsey in 2009, Khalil has offered advisory support to companies in a variety of process-intensive industries such as energy, mining, and metals. In his sustained work with oil and gas clients, he focuses particularly on boosting operational efficiency and reliability, maximizing production from well and reservoir assets, and controlling costs through procurement excellence. With industry-recognized technical expertise in unconventional development, Khalil has designed and executed hundreds of hydraulic and other well-services treatments around the world.
Examples of his work include:
- leading diagnostic reviews of upstream oil-and-gas operations to increase production and reduce lifting costs for multiple clients in Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa
- guiding a national oil company through an enterprise-risk-management initiative; this work included developing cash-flow-at-risk models to support improved executive decision making
- transforming operations for a basic materials company; this multiyear project increased end-product production and raised earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization
- leading an Australian basic-materials producer through a multiyear transformation initiative that improved operational performance and established greater organizational effectiveness
- analyzing a major aluminum company’s operations, including optimizing both the production and maintenance departments
Before joining McKinsey, Khalil worked in operations management and business development for Schlumberger Oilfield Services in many international locations, including Europe, North Africa, North America, and Ukraine. He speaks English, French, Arabic, Spanish, and Greek.
Schlumberger Oilfield Services
Operations, business, and technical manager
BEng, chemical engineering
University of Tulsa
Diploma in reservoir engineering