Jukka leads our global work in mining. He relocated to Kazakhstan in 2013 to open the first McKinsey office there, having lived in South Africa for almost 6 years. In Kazakhstan, Jukka is working with McKinsey’s experts from around the globe on projects that cover a range of industry and functional topics.
Since joining McKinsey in 2006, he has led over 60 projects on six continents, primarily for companies in the resource sector, sovereign wealth funds, and resource-rich governments. In the oil and gas industry, he worked for national oil companies (NOCs) and international oil companies in Africa, the Middle East, and North America. His projects covered different functions and included:
- Designing a 2-year transformation program at one of the largest NOCs prior to the privatization, and leading work to incorporate strategic business units and make a step change in performance in its upstream and fuel-retail operations.
- Supporting the design of large-scale upstream and midstream capital projects (in the prefeasibility, feasibility, and execution phases) to ensure maximizing value in the project setup.
In the metals and mining industries, Jukka served a leading multicommodity mining company for the last 5 years. His projects included:
- Reviewing the fact base of the company’s strategic internal and external context, developing its strategic path, including setting clear targets and developing a detailed implementation plan.
- Acting as project director and ramp up manager for 9 months at one of the world’s largest mines incorporating a rail network and port. The ramp up was achieved in record time.
Jukka has worked on the portfolio strategy and priority assets of sovereign wealth funds and private-equity (PE) firms. Projects included:
- Helped one of the largest sovereign wealth funds define its portfolio strategy, resulting in granular implementation plans used in the process of privatization/exits of noncore assets.
- Helped a large European PE firm in multiple acquisitions, including developing the resulting strategies to create value for the assets.
Prior to McKinsey, Jukka worked in the commodities-trading team of Nordea Bank, a leading Scandinavian bank; in the strategy department of Wärtsilä, which produces power solutions for energy and marine markets; and as a board member of a family-owned private equity firm.
A native of Finland, Jukka is fluent in English, proficient in Swedish and German, and has basic knowledge of Russian.
“Commercial excellence in mining: Unlocking the full potential of marketing and sales,” McKinsey on Metals & Mining, December 2011
Helsinki University of Technology
MS in engineering
Finnish Air Force