Jorge is a leader in our Pharmaceutical & Medical Products Practice. He advises biopharma, medical device, and diagnostic companies on corporate and business-unit strategy, commercial operating models, R&D, organizational design, M&A, joint ventures, and marketing and sales.
In the past few years, Jorge has:
- worked with several companies to define strategies for biopharma products at a global level and in specific emerging markets, including implementation and business plans.
- helped a top generics company to design its operating models in emerging markets, including country-by-country scenario development, portfolio management, and M&A screening.
- supported the formation of biopharma joint ventures and public–private partnerships in emerging markets.
- developed growth options for a medical diagnostics company, including local technology platforms.
- led our support for major integrations and commercial transformations across geographic regions and product ranges.
- performed due diligence on biopharma companies, with emphasis on the biotech process and portfolio.
Jorge has published a number of articles on pharma R&D, biosimilars, and other industry topics, as well as several scientific papers written during his earlier research career. With an academic background in molecular biology and neuroscience, he holds a BSc from the University of Glasgow, an MSc from EMBL in Heidelbert, and a PhD from the University of Turin. He completed his post-doctoral studies at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York.
“Africa: A continent of opportunity for pharma and patients,” McKinsey & Company, June 2015
“The rise of biosimilars: Navigating the distinctive path to market,” From Science to Operations: Questions, choices, and strategies for success in biopharma (PDF–790 KB), McKinsey & Company, 2014
“Biosimilars seven years on: Where are we and what's next?,” McKinsey & Company, February 2013 (PDF–657 KB)
“Public–private partnerships: An untapped strategic lever,” Unlocking pharma growth (PDF–2.91 MB), McKinsey & Company, 2012
“Closing the R&D gap in African health care,” Evolution or revolution?, McKinsey & Company, 2012
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, New York
University of Turin
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Heidelbert
University of Glasgow
BSc, molecular biology