John Drew is based in our London office and leads the McKinsey Hospital Institute and our work with UK providers. He has served many NHS hospitals on a wide range of topics, either directly or through our work with Strategic Health Authorities (SHAs), the NHS Institute and the Foundation Trust Network. He also works with leading hospitals in other health systems, including France and the Netherlands.
His core areas of expertise are the improvement of quality and productivity, and the engagement of the workforce to make and sustain change.
John led our work with the NHS Institute as their strategic partner in the development of Productive Ward and Productive Community Services which were implemented nationally, as well as the Delivering Through Improvement network on Stroke and Fracture Neck of Femur pathways.
Other recent projects include:
- supporting a recently merged London hospital to put in place a sustainable transformation, including a series of strategic improvement projects and the establishment of an in-house transformation team
- Together to Improve Value programme across London, bringing together 12 NHS hospitals to implement improvements through over 50 projects involving 250 frontline NHS staff and expected to deliver measurable quality improvement and over £20m in recurrent savings
- leading our support on operations to the first-ever application of the failure regime for NHS hospitals in South East London, including the development of 3 years’ of detailed cost improvement plans
- supporting the Joint Services Review (JSR) of acute services across three sites in Worcestershire, together developing a blueprint and business plan for integrated care across the county
- supporting multiple hospitals to apply the McKinsey Hospital Institute (MHI) whole hospital diagnostic tool to identify and quantify specific improvement opportunities which are then worked up into improvement plans which are co-developed and owned by hospital staff, including doctors
John is a manufacturing engineer by background and worked in industry prior to joining McKinsey, initially as an operations specialist. In 2004, he co-authored an award-winning book on these topics, Journey to Lean: Making Operational Change Stick, which has since been translated into French, German and Chinese.
Masters in engineering management