Jason is a partner in McKinsey’s Calgary office. He has extensive experience serving clients in the oil and gas, agriculture, mining and telecom sectors on issues of strategy, capital projects, and operations. Jason leads our global work in organization and enablers for capital projects and infrastructure.
Examples of his work include:
- Capital project execution strategy—identified and valued project optimization ideas for an oil sands mega project, including modularization and use of off-shore engineering, procurement and construction capacity as well as improvement of frontline construction productivity and effectiveness
- Capital project performance management—designed and implemented a performance management system for an oil and gas company to provide early warning of cost and schedule variance, as well as a system to develop and manage the required interventions
- Capital projects development and execution process—redesigned the project development and execution stage gate process for a large integrated oil and gas company
- Operational improvement—led the assessment of operational improvement opportunities including external spend reduction for a leading agriculture player, and supported the design and implementation of a program to deliver the improvements
- Post-merger management and procurement—led the merger integration work for the acquisition of three Canadian oil and gas companies including capital expenditure optimization through supply chain and procurement spend reduction
- Telecom network build optimization—working with a client’s network engineering organization, assessed the capital spend reduction opportunities for local telecom network build-outs
Before joining McKinsey, Jason worked as an engineer in the environmental services sector and as a management consultant serving clients in the telecom and information technology sectors. He has a BSc in civil engineering and an MEng in environmental engineering from the University of Alberta. He also holds an MBA from the Ivey School of Business at Western University and is a registered professional engineer in Alberta.
“Best practices in the deployment of smart grid technologies” (PDF–888 KB), McKinsey on Smart Grid, June 2010
“Maximizing value from smart grids” (PDF–564 KB), McKinsey on Smart Grid, June 2010
Technology and telecom management consultant
University of Western Ontario, Richard Ivey School of Business
University of Alberta
MEng environmental engineering; BSc, civil engineering