In addition to his client work, Humayun leads the Downstream service line in our Electric Power & Natural Gas Practice, which covers T&D operations, new grid technologies, distributed generation, energy efficiency, and customer experience. He is also a leader in the Clean Tech service line of our Sustainability & Resource Productivity Practice.
He has co-authored a number of publications, including the ‘McKinsey on Smart Grid’ publication and recent work McKinsey has completed on energy efficiency, and clean technologies. He has also authored external articles/reports, including in energy and power and with the American Physical Society.
He is also a regular panelist and participant in key industry events, including Gridweek, Harvard Electricity Policy Group, GridCom, and senior industry roundtables.
Recent client work includes serving:
- a large US multi-utility on transforming its performance across shared services, generation, distribution, and customer operations
- one of the largest utilities in developing an integrated demand management, energy efficiency, and renewables strategy; addressing both opportunity assessment as well as creating a regulatory approach for each state
- one of the largest utilities on a comprehensive transformation of T&D operations and customer experience
- a large Asian technology conglomerate on market entry strategy for a several new technology products including grid balancing, demand management, and distribution automation
- a large European technology player on Asian and North American go-to-market strategy for new suite of distributed generation and grid integration technologies
Prior to joining McKinsey, Humayun worked for Deloitte Emerging Markets and was an energy consultant at the World Bank.
Johns Hopkins University
MA, international relations and economics