Gunjan leads McKinsey’s Pittsburgh office, where he works with the leaders of payor and provider organizations in both the public and private sectors as they confront the challenge of rising healthcare costs while seeking to improve the delivery of care.
In his advisory work, Gunjan focuses on helping executives understand and tackle a variety of challenges including payment innovation, payor-provider integration, and population-health management. Strongly focused on industry trends, Gunjan has led research efforts on the topics of Medicare, population health, government segments, post-acute providers, integrated delivery systems, and provider-led health plans. He has particularly deep expertise in recent Medicare reforms and their impact across the healthcare industry.
Examples of his work:
- helping an integrated delivery system expand into exchanges
- helping a large healthcare-provider system develop a Medicare growth strategy, including evaluating the potential to acquire an independent-practice association and a Medicare Advantage health plan
- designing a risk strategy for a leading provider of Medicare Advantage plans, including evaluating innovative payment approaches
- assessing Asian and European healthcare markets to prepare a national payor business for global expansion
- evaluating a business-turnaround opportunity for a large regional blues plan by focusing on controlling medical costs
- developing a growth strategy for a healthcare-exchange technology, resulting in 400 percent growth in market share in 3 years
Gunjan’s research and work, incorporating observations on healthcare trends and dynamics, have been cited in leading healthcare journals.
“Should providers launch health plans?,” McKinsey on Healthcare, February 2015
“Provider-led health plans: The next frontier—or the 1990s all over again?,” McKinsey on Healthcare, January 2015
IBM T.J. Watson Research, Distributed Systems Group
System research intern
PhD, electrical and computer engineering
MA, electrical and computer engineering
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
BA, electrical engineering