As a leader in our Petroleum Asset Excellence (PAX) service line, Graham brings senior operational-leadership experience, pragmatic industry knowledge, and broad consulting expertise to his service of oil and gas companies as they address operational challenges and prepare their organizations for growth. During more than 15 years in line-management roles with major petroleum companies, he delivered significant value while leading operational, technical, and commercial teams.
Since joining McKinsey in 2012, Graham has advised upstream oil-and-gas-industry executives in Australia, Africa, Asia, and Europe as they transform their operations and develop strategic programs to improve asset performance. He oversees the recovery and transformation of distressed assets, as well as building capability to deliver excellence in production, development, operations, and maintenance.
Examples of his recent client work include the following:
- leading multiple teams working with onshore liquefied-natural-gas-production assets and offshore production facilities to improve maintenance productivity while reducing costs
- working with an onshore operator to improve well availability and raise asset productivity
- improving production and operational effectiveness for an onshore oil producer in Africa; the project included improving frontline operator competency and establishing an in-house business improvement organization
- coaching the construction manager for an unconventional natural gas project in Australia during an effort to transform well pad, pipeline, and compressor-station construction performance
- creating and implementing an asset-integrity strategy for more than 250 offshore platforms and their associated wells, pipelines, and onshore processing facilities
Graham began his career in ExxonMobil’s specialist capital projects group. He later joined Shell, where he focused on turning around poorly performing business units and conducting due diligence for large asset transactions. Most recently, Graham was a general manager focused on business development at Roc Oil, where he led a technical team and managed a full portfolio of exploration assets.
Graham is a Sainsbury Management Fellow, a Fellow of the Institute of Chemical Engineers, and a Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Roc Oil Company
General manager, new ventures and business development
Process design engineer
M.Eng., chemical engineering