Giancarlo leads our practice in the Advanced Industries—including Advanced Electronics, Aerospace and Defense, and Automotive and Assembly—in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. During his more than 25 years at McKinsey, he has developed extensive expertise in organization design, product development, transformational change in complex environments, and the design and execution of large-scale operational improvement programs.
His work spans across most engineered products industries; recent examples of transformational programs include:
- Advising a leading white-goods manufacturer on the integration of several acquisitions and the rationalization of their product lines, industrial footprint, supply chains, and market organizations
- Helping a global industrial conglomerate integrate an acquired oil & gas machinery company and transform it into one of the conglomerate’s most successful global businesses
- Supporting a European industrial group in its multiyear journey from being a local conglomerate to becoming a vibrant international presence in the aerospace and defense industry
- Helping a leading helicopter OEM in consolidating its product leadership and developing the next generation of aircrafts and services
- Helping a local shipyard become the leading global player in high value-added vessels (cruise ships, fast naval vessels, off-shore supply vessels, mega-yachts) through excellence in project and quality management product development, acquisitions and integrations
- Introducing modular approaches and design solutions at a number of project-based companies in the machinery and software-project industries (e.g. rail signaling and air traffic management)
- Working with a premium automotive brand to renew its organizational and operating model in marketing and sales, and to restructure and expand its network of owned retail units and independent dealers
Giancarlo has been leading the development of the McKinsey perspective and approaches to performance transformations, and also helps lead our Organization Practice in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
“A cost-effective path to road safety,” McKinsey on Society, January 2013
“Taking organizational redesigns from plans to practice,” McKinsey & Company, December 2010
University of Genoa
BS in mechanical engineering