Gaobo is the co-leader of our Healthcare Practice in China and has been with the firm for over a decade. He works with pharmaceutical and medical-products companies, functioning as an adviser to top executives as they pursue growth, performance, and innovation in a dynamic marketplace.
In particular, Gaobo addresses the unique challenges of operating a commercial enterprise and bringing new products to both existing and developing markets. He has supported branding and new-product initiatives, including setting strategic direction and placing supporting organization. While helping company leaders find solutions to key business challenges, Gaobo also seeks to build capability so they can continue to drive lasting success.
Examples of Gaobo’s recent client work include:
- guiding a global pharmaceutical company through a transformation of its commercial activities in China
- assisting a leading medical-device company in crafting a business strategy for the marketplace entry of a new product
- helping a leading global pharmaceutical company develop and roll out an integrated capability-building program for marketing, access, and medical management across key Asia-Pacific markets
- developing growth strategies focused on emerging markets and Asia for several leading global pharmaceutical companies
- helping a leading pharmaceutical company design and implement a full cultural transformation
Gaobo has written several articles on the state of the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, focusing particularly on China.
What healthcare system can China afford? McKinsey & Company, August 24, 2012
“Pharma’s next challenge, ” McKinsey & Company, July 2015
“In search of new growth models for big pharma in China, ” McKinsey & Company, November 2013
“Healthcare in China: Entering ‘uncharted waters, ” McKinsey & Company, November 2012
“Regionalization: Lessons from pharmacos that have ‘tasted the crab,’ ” McKinsey & Company, September 2012
Human Genome Sciences
Fuqua School of Business, Duke University
University of Maryland, College Park
BS, genetics and genetic engineering