Diego is a partner in our London office. He works with clients from a variety of industries to improve their purchasing operating model, and advises companies in the automotive and advanced industries on broader operational transformations. He is the leader of our work on purchasing and supply management in the UK and Ireland.
Much of Diego’s recent work has involved advising leading automotive and consumer goods companies on transforming their purchasing function across business units and countries, and redesigning their purchasing operating model, with changes to organisation, strategic processes and principles for inter-company trading. This involved redesigning the organization and strategic processes; creating mechanisms to enable collaboration across the engineering, purchasing, finance, and sales and marketing functions; and improving governance and performance management.
Diego's recent projects include:
- Advising a major carmaker on the design and implementation of its new operating model including organization design, strategic processes, communication, and change management
- Helping a leading technology operator
- To develop a new model for providing third-party procurement services, which involved defining a remuneration and compensation scheme, designing new processes an governance, and specifying resource requirements
- Supporting a joint venture between several consumer packaged goods companies with the design of a new purchasing organization and operating model, the re-writing of strategic processes, the definition of terms of cooperation and principles for inter-company trading, and the optimization of tax advantage
- Working with a multi-national construction company to create a purchasing subsidiary, including the development of new processes and inter-company ways of working
Before joining McKinsey, Diego spent several years as a buyer in the automotive industry, culminating in the role of global commodity manager with General Motors, where he managed a multi-country team and bought more than 40 million car parts a year for over 30 manufacturing facilities.
Diego holds a master's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Rome and took a diploma course at the Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics in Brussels.
“New role for the CPO: Orchestrating the end-to-end value chain,” Supply Chain Management Review, July 2014
Global commodity manager
Purchasing team leader
GM/Fiat Worldwide Purchasing
University of Rome
MEng, mechanical engineering