David is a member of the McKinsey Recovery & Transformation Services Practice in San Francisco. He has an entrepreneurial background and more than 20 years' experience consulting with underperforming companies. David is skilled at delivering short-term and lasting positive impact for companies facing challenges. He also designs successful implementation plans to realize the desired strategic, operational, organizational, and financial results.
David primarily advises clients in the retail, consumer-packaged-goods, and high-tech sectors. He has helped companies achieve dramatic turnarounds through rapid cost reduction, balance-sheet optimization, organization redesign, portfolio realignment, and growth strategy.
Here are some examples of his experience prior to joining McKinsey:
- leading a corporate transformation for a major grocer aimed at increasing organizational agility and significantly reducing costs
- leading the turnaround of a major retailer, where the effort included growth initiatives and cost-reduction steps that led to substantial savings
- reducing redundant activities among the corporate center and business groups of a Fortune 100 consumer-packaged-goods company, resulting in material cost savings
- leading a corporate transformation for a large technology firm aimed at reducing redundant activities among the corporate center and the business groups, resulting in cost savings
- directing a merger integration effort for a telecommunications company focused on all commercial and support functions, resulting in substantial savings
- leading the effort to integrate the procurement, sales, marketing, finance, human-resources, IT, and legal functions of a consumer-packaged-goods/retail company following a merger
- managing the organizational redesign for a major retailer, eliminating costs and significantly reducing cycle times, and supporting planned revenue growth
- guiding an organization and process redesign effort for a consumer-packaged-goods/retail company, resulting in operational savings and inventory reduction
Before joining McKinsey, David was a senior partner at A.T. Kearney, where he led the organization and transformation practice. Before that, he launched and sold a software business that enabled manufacturing efficiencies in the automotive industry.
David is a member of the executive council and board of directors for the Bay Area Council and a board member of the Taylor Lynn Foundation. He is also a frequent speaker at Conference Board events.
University of Michigan
University of Arizona