Charlene is an expert in capital optimization, allocation and governance. She works with major organizations in the infrastructure, energy and mining sectors to prioritize capital projects across broad portfolios—and to help ensure the integrity of business cases for the selected projects.
Recent examples of Charlene’s client work include:
- Supporting a major infrastructure company with its portfolio management process optimization and scrubbing on selected projects
- Undertaking a rapid capital portfolio review for a large electric power utility to achieve a 15% cost reduction
- Providing subject-matter expertise in project optimization and capital governance for a major mining company to achieve an average cost reduction of 37% on the selected projects
- Implementing “last planner” detailed construction management for an electric power utility
- Supporting contract management on a mega project at an infrastructure client, including detailed engineering progress tracking, procurement process management, and stage gate transitioning
- Helping optimize insulation process on a mega project for an electric power utility
Charlene speaks Afrikaans, English, and German. Prior to joining McKinsey, she worked as general manager in the Capital Portfolio Office at Sasol in South Africa, where she was accountable for the company’s capital governance processes, as well as fact-based prioritization and capital allocation across divergent business units.
University of Pretoria, South Africa