Carlos helps clients successfully deliver major greenfield projects and achieve significant improvements in both cost efficiency and functionality. He brings 15 years of experience in the building-materials industry, across all functions, from operations and training to major-project commissioning and management.
Examples of Carlos’s work:
- supporting a major African power plant to improve construction and delivery planning by implementing the Last Planner System and developing an on-site lean core team
- performing group-services diagnostics through qualitative and quantitative analysis of corporate services for an African cement-manufacturing group
- helping several Asian cement plants to improve operational performance and identify investment opportunities
- supporting a major Asian refinery greenfield project to improve construction and delivery planning by implementing lean-construction tools and systems
- identifying cost and time savings for a Latin American cement plant in the final stages of civil construction
- supporting greenfield project delivery of a major cement plant in Asia, setting up a project-management “control tower” that helped reduce delivery time by 3 months
Prior to joining McKinsey, Carlos served as plant general manager in Mozambique and as the maintenance manager at a European basic-materials plant, as well as a project manager in Angola, Egypt, and South Africa. Carlos is a senior member of the Portuguese Council of Engineers. He is also a certified trainer and served as the electrical- and automation-maintenance trainer for a top-ten global cement manufacturer. Carlos speaks English, Portuguese, French, and Spanish.
He’s also an alumnus of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) Young Managers Team (YMT) 2004.
Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
BSc, electrical engineering