Bobby is a partner at McKinsey and the head of our Addis Ababa office. He is a senior leader in our Public Sector, Social Sector, and Healthcare Systems & Services Practices and a member of the leadership team of our East Africa office.
Bobby has more than 16 years of experience as a consultant serving both public- and private-sector clients. He advises organizations in the healthcare, energy, agriculture, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and mining sectors in North America, Africa, and beyond. Bobby works across multiple functions, including strategy, operations, and organization. In addition, he has special expertise in designing, setting up, and operating delivery units.
Bobby’s recent client projects include:
- Working with government institutions in East Africa and South Africa to develop sector-specific transformation strategies, including setting up delivery units, and introducing delivery labs to achieve rapid results
- Helping a premier utility identify ways to capitalize on the competitive advantage embedded in its assets, optimize asset and contract positions to monetize intrinsic hedges, and capture opportunities to rationalize its portfolio
- Supporting a state-owned enterprise with a comprehensive operational and organizational strategy for managing the national health supply chain in an African country
- Advising a leading pharmaceutical company on a market-entry strategy
- Serving a major provider of specialty chemicals and crop-protection products on the development of an innovative growth strategy.
Before joining McKinsey, Bobby helped set up the Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency, a public agency driving structural reforms and innovations nationally, and was a member of its senior executive team.
Bobby began his career as a biomedical scientist (Harvard Biomedical Scientist Program) and molecular biophysicist at Harvard Medical School / Harvard University and has published a number of papers on scientific topics. He received a doctorate in molecular biophysics with distinction from Harvard Medical School and holds undergraduate and graduate degrees in mathematics, chemistry, computational chemistry, and computational physics.
Harvard Medical School
PhD, molecular biophysics