Andy leads our Petroleum Asset Excellence (PAX) work in Asia, which blends McKinsey’s 20-year track record in oil-and-gas consulting with proven industry experts to help clients improve the performance of their operating assets.
Andy combines consulting expertise with global operations and project-leadership experience gained internationally in the industry. During more than 25 years in technical and executive roles in high-risk operations and complex projects, he built and managed oil, gas, and liquefied-natural-gas (LNG) operations both offshore and onshore. With responsibility for major facilities in Africa, Asia, and Europe, he led performance transformations at several stages of the project and operations life cycle.
Andy has led start-up and operating transformations in multiple remote locations, and he has helped sustain improvements by raising team capabilities, simplifying operating systems, and creating a culture of rigor and continuous improvement.
Since joining McKinsey in 2015, Andy has advised oil-and-gas industry executives in Asia, Australia, and Europe as they raise performance and develop new projects. He works end-to-end from strategy to frontline implementation, delivering improvements in current situations while also supporting the evolution of clients’ operating systems. He has sustained impact by building capabilities and fostering cultural and organizational health.
Examples of his recent client work include:
- identifying opportunities to increase the production rate at an LNG facility while lowering the maintenance workload and optimizing team size and shape
- accelerating late-stage construction at a major offshore production facility to recover on-time sail-away from the construction site
- developing and applying a methodology for asset rationalization in a large, mature offshore asset with multiple facilities
- optimizing the structure and size of core organization and support functions for a complex exploration-and-production company with an oilfield-services division
- improving reliability in offshore assets through benchmarking and the application of root-cause failure analysis, implementing an integrated approach to production performance
Andy has held positions across the full oil-and-gas value chain and project life cycle—including production engineer, commissioning manager, offshore installation manager (OIM), operations manager, and regional vice president for operations—with a production portfolio totaling 250,000 barrels oil equivalent per Day (BOED). He has worked extensively across the project-operations interface to transform performance in both phases. Andy has led the recovery of distressed operations and managed the preparatory turnaround and subsequent divestment of major facilities. He is a Fellow of the UK Chartered Management Institute, a Chartered Manager, and Chartered Scientist. He is a native English speaker and also speaks Indonesian.
"Sustaining impact from Australian LNG operations" (PDF), McKinsey & Company, April 2016
University of Edinburgh
BSc, Physics (with honors)