Ali is a partner based in Singapore. He is the head of the Asia Consumer Insights Centre, as well as a core leader of the Consumer Goods and Retail practice in Southeast Asia. Ali works across functional topics from strategy to marketing and sales, and particularly focuses on execution and capability building.
Examples of his recent work at McKinsey include:
- Global marketing and sales transformation for a branded goods manufacturer—end to end turnaround of sales branches across multiple markets stretching from West Africa to Japan. Developed product strategies for each market, implemented world class channel management practices and institutionalized commercial operating system.
- Conducted detailed study of the food and beverage and food services landscape in a Southeast Asia market—surveyed 400+ food service entrepreneurs to understand key opportunities and challenges for the sector.
- Strategic due diligence of a global spirits manufacturer, evaluating global growth opportunities and expansion potential from more effective domestic distribution
- Assisted a global food company develop a market expansion strategy for Southeast Asia, looking at key markets of Thailand and Indonesia. Key analyses included demand forecasting, consumer research to identify key buying factors and recommendations on brand and channel portfolio.
- Developed the network expansion strategy and implementation plan for a local retailer. Key output included a ‘store-in-a-box’ toolkit. Client accelerated expansion plans, doubling the store network in 2 years.
- Supported the development of a CRM unit at a leading integrated resort. Developed a customized CRM methodology, built client capabilities to deliver successful CRM campaigns and piloted campaigns using the new tools and processes.
Prior to joining McKinsey, Ali was a corporate trainer and project manager in the BPO industry in India and Sri Lanka. Ali also worked in the advertising industry as a client service executive in Mumbai.
“Retail 4.0: The future of retail grocery in a digital world,” McKinsey & Company, May 2013 (PDF–16.7 MB)
Indian School of Business
Undergraduate studies, geography