Achim is co-leader of our European Apparel, Fashion & Luxury Practice. In this capacity, he helps direct our work with major clothing, footwear, and luxury manufacturers, retailers, wholesalers, and suppliers.
As an advisor to producers and retailers, Achim evaluates merchandise and material sources in order to organize procurement for greater efficiencies and stronger earnings. He has fourteen years of experience with North American, European, and Asian clients, and has directed large-scale efforts to transform procurement operations for companies in a variety of markets, from value retail to premium designs.
Achim’s insight and experience extends into apparel markets and retail industry trends. He has conducted due diligence efforts for investors interested in the apparel industry, and he has also helped optimize assortment management processes. Currently based in Frankfurt, Achim spent 2006 and 2007 working in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Examples of his work include:
- leading a transformation program for a major apparel value retailer
- conducting a sourcing diagnosis for a leading European multi-label apparel retailer, including designing an ongoing sourcing roadmap
- designing a large-scale sourcing program for a leading Korean apparel company
- organizing sourcing strategies for leading premium, midmarket, and functional clothing companies and top US value retailers
- leading due diligence projects evaluating clothing, footwear, sportswear, and accessories companies in the value, mid-market and luxury segments
- directing a 100-day program, including developing new divisional strategy, for a European textile company following acquisition by a leading private equity firm
- helping to build-up the global retail business for a leading apparel wholesaler
- leading an overhead optimization and marketing spend effectiveness program for the European and US operations of a global luxury fashion retailer
Strongly interested in helping to gather insights into the future of the apparel industry, Achim initiated the 2011 and 2013 McKinsey Apparel Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) surveys and is the author of the resulting reports. He also organized and hosted the first McKinsey Apparel Sourcing Executive Roundtable, held March 2014 in Hong Kong.
“Getting the most out of your sustainability program,” McKinsey & Company, August 2015
“The global sourcing map—balancing cost, compliance, and capacity: McKinsey’s apparel CPO survey 2013,” (PDF–4.8 MB), McKinsey & Company, November 2013
“Bangladesh: The next hot spot in apparel sourcing?” McKinsey & Company, March 2012
“Comment: Bangladesh—turning of the tides or rather not?” Just-style.com, March 2012
“Bangladesh’s ready-made garments landscape: The challenge of growth,” (PDF–1.3 MB), McKinsey & Company, November 2011
“Fast fashion: Navigating the global apparel market,” McKinsey on Marketing & Sales, October 2011