We help telecom clients execute value-creating digital strategies and deploy technology to optimize operations and efficiency.
McKinsey's Telecom Digital group combines our management-consulting approach with in-depth IT and digital expertise to provide internal technology teams with customized, objective technology-strategy and consulting services. We work closely with telecom clients who are facing new business challenges that place high demand on future digital capabilities.
Our consultants help CTOs and CIOs with major investment decisions that affect their company's performance. Our expertise and insights, developed through serving telecom operators, give us a rich understanding of the dynamic nature of the digital and technology landscape and the complexity involved in using technology to deliver real value and impact. The net effect for our clients is significant improvement in their overall digital performance and return on investment, along with a decrease in total cost of ownership.
Our consultants help clients:
- develop comprehensive digital strategies and governance models
- design roadmaps for future IT architecture
- implement a lean approach in applications development and maintenance (ADM), as well as in IT infrastructure
- perform digital capability-gap analyses to ensure seamless service delivery
- conduct objective cost and performance analyses of service delivery models—from on-site, to cosourced, to outsourced
- apply best practices in demand management, as well as in vendor management
Our Telecom Digital McKinsey group includes many professionals who have joined McKinsey from telecom companies and bring direct, in-depth technical knowledge of systems, products, and services to our clients. In fact, we have the largest software practice of any strategy-management consulting firm, with deep insight into software IT architectures, the economics of industry subsectors (embedded, infrastructure, applications), and the drivers of value creation.
Read more about the expertise of our digital teams in IT strategy and management, IT-enabled business transformation, and IT-enabled operations in the Digital McKinsey Insights section.
Our investments in proprietary research and capabilities development help our clients extract maximum value from their IT and technology investments. Recent examples of our research include:
- Lean IT, which replaces traditional develop/test/deploy models with a model that combines industrialized approaches with a focus on innovation to deliver value more quickly
- Cloud-based environments that are reshaping the nature of IT services to deliver on-demand capacity and capability at lower cost, and to allow for greater collaboration and responsiveness across the enterprise.
- Design Labs, we work with the world’s largest organizations to accelerate the impact of digital transformation. Partnering closely with our clients, we prototype ideas, test them with real customers, and quickly adapt the solution. Combining data science, human-centered design, and the latest rapid-development techniques—such as agile coaching, concept sprints, and DevOps—we help our clients deliver breakthrough products, experiences, and businesses.
- Horizon360, complements McKinsey’s traditional consulting work by offering a set of modular services and software tools to help our clients improve the performance of their IT organizations.