We help high-tech clients execute value-creating IT strategies and deploy technology to optimize operations and efficiency.
McKinsey's High Tech Business Technology group marries our management consulting approach with in-depth IT expertise to provide internal technology teams with customized, objective technology strategy and consulting services. We work closely with high-tech technology clients who have high expectations to deploy technology quickly and effectively.
Our consultants help CTOs and CIOs with major investment decisions that impact their company's performance. Our expertise and insights, developed through serving high-tech companies and large-enterprise IT users, give us a rich understanding of the dynamic nature of the technology landscape and the complexity involved in using technology to deliver real value and impact. The net effect for our clients is significant improvement in their overall IT performance and returns on investment, along with a decrease in total cost of ownership.
Our consultants help clients:
- implement lean approaches to managing the data center landscape and overall IT architecture
- develop and implement private and semi-private cloud solutions
- develop comprehensive IT strategies and governance models
- perform IT capability-gap analyses to ensure seamless service delivery
- design, manage, and/or redirect ERP implementations, as well as IT-enabled functional transformations in product development, manufacturing, pricing, and supply chain
- conduct objective cost/performance analyses of service delivery models—from on-site, to co-sourced, to outsourced—of established and emerging companies and technology alliances
- accurately compare the benefits and trade-offs of specific software and service offerings to assist in product selection
Who we are
Our High Tech Business Technology group includes many professionals who joined McKinsey from high tech companies and bring direct, in-depth technical knowledge of systems, products, and services to our clients. In fact, we have the largest software practice of any strategy-management consulting firm with extensive insight into software IT architectures, the economics of industry subsectors (embedded, infrastructure, applications) and the drivers of value creation.
Our investments in proprietary research and capabilities development help our clients extract maximum value from their technology investments. Recent examples of our research include:
- Lean IT, which replaces traditional development/test/deploy models with a model that combines industrialized approaches with a focus on innovation to deliver value more quickly
- cloud-based environments that are reshaping the nature of IT services to deliver on-demand capacity and capability at lower cost, and allow for greater collaboration and responsiveness across the enterprise
For more details about our expertise in this area, please visit the Digital McKinsey section.