We work with wealth managers, asset managers, and retirement players to create value in a fast-changing market.
Our clients are seeking deep and lasting strategic and operational improvement on growth and performance. We provide counsel on issues in strategy, organization, earnings improvement, IT and operations, and sales and marketing. We also partner with clients to develop sound observations about the future state of the industry, and to make strong strategic choices that will enable them to adapt and thrive in a changing market.
Our collaborative and fact-based approach relies on deep proprietary research that spans all institutional and retail segments, asset classes (for example, alternatives) and products, such as exchange traded funds and outcome-oriented funds. Our proprietary tools provide unique insights into the flows, assets, and economics of each of the sub-segments of these markets and into the preferences and behaviors of consumers, investors, and intermediaries.
We work across the full spectrum of challenges faced by our clients, including:
- Growth. We help clients identify and embrace new markets and segments that lead to sustainable competitive advantage.
- Operations. We help design and implement superior front- and back-office processes in research, portfolio management, risk management, technology, and distribution.
- Organization. We partner with clients to develop optimal organizational structures and processes.
- Investment performance. We support clients on portfolio management, research, and knowledge management, with a focus on superior execution. Through senior-level conferences and roundtables, we foster a regular exchange of current research and insight, and provide our clients with cutting-edge knowledge relevant to their strategic needs.
Examples of our work
We work with leading institutions in all of the world’s major markets. Recent engagements include:
- working with a US private bank to develop a growth strategy based on overall assessment of market and personal financial services profit model
- developing organizational structure for newly-formed integrated global distribution group
- supporting a European firm on exchange-traded-fund strategy
- serving an asset manager on sales and marketing cost improvement; on track to capture 15 to 20 percent in cost reductions
- helping a leading bank formulate an integrated retirement strategy, identifying key opportunities in 401(k), IRA rollovers and defined contribution, and developing supporting architecture
Performance Lens for Wealth & Asset Management
Performance Lens is a McKinsey solution that helps asset managers make better strategic, operational, and organizational decisions using fact-based, actionable insights. Performance Lens combines proprietary data, analytics and tools with McKinsey’s deep industry expertise to improve asset managers’ business performance. This McKinsey solution comprises four complementary offerings:
- Global Growth Cube: A comprehensive asset management market-sizing database with granular historical and forecast data on assets under management (AUM), revenues and flows by geography (44 regions and countries), client segment (9), and product (12 asset classes, 8 product vehicles) to support strategic growth and resource allocation decisions.
- Global Asset Management Survey: An annual economic benchmark survey that comprises 8,000 metrics and covers 60 percent of global AUM. The survey has a 15-year track record, and includes an interactive web application to help asset managers assess operational performance and identify actions to drive growth and profitability.
- Insurance General Account Survey: An annual economic benchmark and investment performance survey with over 2,000 metrics, tailored to the asset mix, cost structure, and key organizational design decisions of insurance general account investment managers.
- Sales Alpha: A regression-based tool with over 10,000 products and 30 variables, that evaluates the effectiveness of sales and marketing efforts—independent of investment performance—to help asset managers improve resource deployment and distribution coverage.
To learn more about McKinsey’s Performance Lens for Wealth & Asset Management solution, please visit Performance Lens or contact the solution.
Global Private Banking Survey
Incorporates more than 100 participants worldwide and most of the top ten players in each of the major regions.
For the most recent research from our Wealth & Asset Management Practice, visit Our Insights page.