We scout global growth opportunities and develop strategies to help consumer goods companies meet the challenges
of emerging markets.
Over the course of the next decade, the global face of the consumer industry will change dramatically. Emerging markets will continue to see spectacular growth, both in regard to new shoppers and to per capita spending. We work with consumer packaged goods companies to develop emerging market priorities and strategies, helping them capture their share of this unfolding opportunity.
Who we are
Our footprint as a consumer consultancy is large and well-established. We have conducted more than 300 growth studies in the Asia-Pacific region, Latin America, Africa, and Russia since 2007. Our practice includes 50+ consumer-focused partners in emerging market offices.
- Our 18 Asia Pacific offices have been involved in more than 200 consumer projects in the region in the last five years. More than 80 percent of our staff in Asia Pacific consist of natives or fluent speakers of local languages. Over a dozen consumer-focused partners reside in the region.
- In Central and South America, we are the most established consulting firm in the packaged goods sector, with long-term presence in Mexico (since 1970), Brazil (1988), Argentina (1991), and Chile (1996). Today, we have nine offices in Latin America.
- Africa and the Middle East hold tremendous opportunity. Our expanding local footprint includes the Africa Consumers Insights Center, a proprietary source of data and knowledge on African consumers.
- We have served the Russian market since 1993, developing deep experience in implementing projects for both domestic and foreign companies in the sector. Learn more about our Russian Consumer Packaged Goods and Retail Practice.
Our teams develop fact-based strategies for clients entering new markets, often drawing upon proprietary tools and data. Once companies have figured out where to play, we apply emerging market strategy development to help them define the business models, value propositions, and capabilities they need to win locally.
- Growth Compass. The Growth Compass is a proprietary database and a toolbox that assesses and prioritizes growth and profit opportunities in emerging markets. We use this resource to help companies to analyze market prospects quickly and rigorously. In particular, we give decision-makers a fact base on which to build developing market entry strategies and make portfolio and investment decisions. Learn more on the Consumer Shopper Insights web site about finding profits and growth in emerging markets.
- CityNav. CityNav is a proprietary database that provides a global perspective on category-level consumer growth in cities to supplement deep dives in high-priority countries.
- Granularity of Growth. The Granularity of Growth is a framework that employs sales forecasts by region (based on macroeconomic indicators and consumer insights) to identify regions within a country that are attractive in terms of government plans, demographics, economic links, and consumer preferences. We use this approach to help consumer goods companies to tailor their products and portfolios to regional needs while maintaining sufficient economies of scale.
- Managing Fragmented Trade. The “fragmented trade” channel, consisting of independently owned supermarkets, corner groceries, and millions of mom-and-pop stores, can represent more than 60 percent of sales in certain consumer goods categories. We have developed a systematic method for determining which microterritories and which trade segments a given CPG company should serve. The tool also includes a go-to-market module that enables clients to analyze and optimize POS execution in small stores. Find out more about our expertise in Customer and Revenue Management.