McKinsey’s Telecom Business Technology group combines our management-consulting approach with in-depth IT expertise to provide internal technology teams with customized, objective technology-strategy and consulting services. We work closely with telecom clients who are facing new business challenges that place high demand on future IT capabilities.
Our consultants help CTOs and CIOs with major investment decisions that affect their company’s performance. Our expertise and insights, developed through serving telecom operators, give us a rich understanding of the dynamic nature of the IT and technology landscape and the complexity involved in using technology to deliver real value and impact. The net effect for our clients is significant improvement in their overall IT performance and return on investment, along with a decrease in total cost of ownership.
Our consultants help clients:
- Develop comprehensive IT strategies and governance models
- Design roadmaps for future IT architecture
- Implement a lean approach in applications development and maintenance (ADM), as well as in IT infrastructure
- Perform IT capability-gap analyses to ensure seamless service delivery
- Conduct objective cost and performance analyses of service delivery models—from on-site, to cosourced, to outsourced
- Apply best practices in demand management, as well as in vendor management
Our Telecom Business Technology group includes many professionals who have joined McKinsey from telecom companies and bring direct, in-depth technical knowledge of systems, products, and services to our clients. In fact, we have the largest software practice of any strategy-management consulting firm, with deep insight into software IT architectures, the economics of industry subsectors (embedded, infrastructure, applications), and the drivers of value creation.
Read more about the expertise of our business-technology teams in IT strategy and management, IT-enabled business transformation, and IT-enabled operations in the McKinsey Quarterly's Business Technology section.
Proprietary tools and insights
Our investments in proprietary research and capabilities development help our clients extract maximum value from their IT and technology investments. Recent examples of our research include:
- Annual Telecom IT benchmark survey and diagnostic, measuring IT efficiency as well as a wide range of quantitative and qualitative KPIs, including product time-to-market
- Lean IT, which replaces traditional develop/test/deploy models with a model that combines industrialized approaches with a focus on innovation to deliver value more quickly
- Cloud-based environments that are reshaping the nature of IT services to deliver on-demand capacity and capability at lower cost, and to allow for greater collaboration and responsiveness across the enterprise.
McKinsey on Business Technology is a quarterly publication that contains our latest thinking on technology strategy including recent articles devoted to using IT to drive down manufacturing costs and decrease product complexity.
For more details about our expertise in this area, please visit the Business Technology Practice section.