Karim is a leader in our Public Sector Practice in Europe. He directs the McKinsey Center for Government’s work on government transformation. Since joining the firm in 2006, he has served primarily public-sector clients in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East on transformation programs, economic development, and tax administration. He also works with financial institutions, with a focus on asset management.
Among recent examples of his work, Karim played a leading role in a European country’s reform program, helping to improve services for citizens while reducing public expenses by several billion euros. He worked closely with the client to shape the program’s elements and to identify, prioritize, and implement major reforms.
In other recent projects, Karim:
- helped a European country shape its growth strategy
- drove the economic and social assessment of a multibillion-dollar industrial investment for an African government
- supported the merger of two large tax collection agencies—an effort involving approximately 130,000 full-time employees
- helped a European government benchmark the performance of its tax administration function and design a three-year transformation program to cut €350 million in annual costs
- helped a North African country design and implement an economic rescue plan and prepare for post-crisis reforms
Prior to joining McKinsey, Karim worked for France’s treasury department, where he supervised the privatization of utility companies and coordinated the creation of the French Government Shareholding Agency, which manages stakes in government-owned companies. In this role, he also helped design programs to foster lending to small- and medium-size enterprises.
Based in Paris, Karim holds master’s degrees from three of France’s most prestigious institutes of higher education: École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées, École Normale Supérieure de Paris, and École Polytechnique.
“‘A duty to modernize’: Reforming the French civil service,” McKinsey Quarterly, April 2011
|French Government Shareholding Agency
||Portfolio manager and project leader
|Treasury Department, French Ministry of Finance
||Deputy head of desk
|École Nationale des Ponts et Chaussées
||Masters in finance and economics
|École Normale Supérieure de Paris
||Masters in economic theory and policy
||Masters in applied mathematics and finance