Generate investment opportunities
We help our client generate and evaluate investment opportunities:
- Short sessions with McKinsey industry experts to evaluate initial ideas
- Customized workshops related to specific market trends
- Exhaustive scans in specific industries and geographies
Our firm’s extensive industry and functional expertise, global reach, external network, and proprietary data sources allow us to get at the best answers. As a result, clients gain a clear view of underlying trends and market implications that support or contravene their investment strategy and decisions.
Over the last 5 years, we have worked with clients to generate investment ideas on hundreds of occasions in every major region of the world.
- We worked with an East Asian investor that wanted to expand its solar portfolio. The joint team developed a list of possible targets and then carefully honed prioritization criteria to support the investment decision making.
- We helped a leading global investor create a set of investment themes based on global “mega-trends” and then identified companies across a dozen countries that would benefit from these mega-trends.
Deal Assessment and Due Diligence
We support investors in the due diligence phase of an investment by evaluating myriad aspects of the target, including: its current situation, capabilities, and positioning; its market and competitive threats; and its future improvement opportunities. Our teams benchmark operational and commercial performance, interview customers and suppliers, and validate business models and projections. In addition, we draw on the firm’s depth and breadth of industry expertise and our unique functional expertise, which enables us to estimate the potential improvement more accurately.
Our practice is deeply experienced in this area, having completed more than 1,500 due diligences in the last 5 years and having been involved in more than half of all deals above $500 million in the same period.
Our due diligence support is often customized, based on the client’s needs and the investment thesis. Configurations include:
- Target analysis
- Industry analysis
- Outside-in due diligence
- Value creation assessment
- Fully integrated due diligence
- Outline first draft of 100 day plan