Power Brands, Second Edition
Wiley 2008 | Hajo Riesenbeck and Dr. Jesko Perrey
What is the difference between a brand and a no-name product? How do you pick the winners among the 50,000 international brands registered or extended every year? What are the tools and methods you need for successful brand management? This book reveals the secret of strong brands. Contrary to what many advertising executives and self-proclaimed marketing gurus would have you believe, it takes at least as much craft and science as art to make a brand successful. The book shows how leading brands combine all three elements and presents the BrandMatics® approach for systematic brand management. The tools and concepts, pressure-tested and refined by the authors in countless projects for clients, are organized into three topical areas: measuring, making, and managing power brands.
In the two short years since the first edition of Power Brands in 2007, much has happened in the world of branding. Advertising has come back with a vengeance; global brand spend now exceeds the GDP of national economies like Denmark or Austria. Digital branding has become a complex network of content generated by marketers, third parties, and consumers themselves, across a wide range of platforms. Brands are evolving from mere labels to clusters of experience spilling over into entertainment and art. Long-established major brands such as Chrysler, Jaguar, Puma, and the Wall Street Journal, have changed hands, creating ever more complex challenges in brand portfolio management. As practitioners of integrated brand management consulting, the authors are on top of recent trends and have embraced the latest advances in brand measurement and management techniques. Highlights of the second Power Brands edition include:
- One of the world’s most systematic studies to quantify the bottom-line impact of creative advertising, conducted in collaboration with the Art Directors Club
- An all-new section on customer segmentation as a strategic platform that integrates a wide range of market insights to support brand management decisions
- The latest insights into consumer decision making, including practical advice on what it takes for a brand to enter the consumer’s consideration set
- A new approach to translating brand image attributes into concrete operational measures from product and service definition to store design
- The latest insights into frontline optimization of reach, cost, and quality at critical customer touchpoints from above-the-line communication to point-of-sale materials
To bring branding tools to life, the second edition of Power Brands also features new executive interviews and case studies on brand management at the forefront of both B2C and B2B marketing. Take inspiration from leading brands such as Nivea, Nokia, DHL, and AstraZeneca, all of which spill some of their best-kept branding secrets in this book. Concepts and cases alike are supported by some 100 exhibits and illustrations.