Digital marketing is no longer about merely adding online channels to the media mix; it is about integrating digital into all facets of marketing. Our global expertise—we have more than 50 dedicated digital marketing experts in more than 30 locations—across digital analytics, market research, technology, business design, and online strategy helps clients bring the full potential of digital marketing to bear on their business.
What we do
Digital marketing engagements are typically multifaceted, solving for specific digital marketing challenges while building ongoing client capabilities. In addition to defining new roles and responsibilities and helping develop employees’ skills, we address technology infrastructure issues and identify potential partners. We work with clients primarily in three core areas:
- Harnessing digital marketing to transform business effectiveness
We help clients drive higher sales productivity and other performance gains through digital marketing. This shift involves mastering multichannel to generate distinctive and practical insights from digital sources as a starting point for clients to develop new contact strategies, streamline planning and execution processes, and upgrade internal capabilities.
- Optimizing the customer experience across channels
We work with clients to integrate the flow of the customer experience across channels (e.g., face-to-face, telephone), opening up new lead sources, supporting sales for smaller-value transactions, and creating new models for service. We continuously provide new and practical perspectives on the evolving Customer Decision Journey, and work with clients to make the deep, transformational changes needed to support new strategies and capability demands.
- Developing and helping implement new growth models
We design appropriate business models and map development pathways for new opportunities by combining insights from digital with an integrated customer experience approach. These new sources of growth can be new products and services or new forms of media that better engage and convert existing online visitors. We also design radically new customer experiences that drive more demand for our clients’ existing offerings.
Examples of our work
- Analyzed and restructured a client’s mix of channels to have a more prominent low-cost digital offering that could reach and serve new market segments
- Helped clients build new capabilities, such as redesigning their content-creation processes
- By addressing inefficiencies in online processes, we have helped clients triple productivity in customer acquisition and cross-selling
- Worked with a client in the food business to increase sales by quickly establishing a digital marketing capability
Proprietary tools and solutions
Our team uses proprietary tools and exclusive partner data to develop fact-based insights for building digital strategies. These include:
- Proprietary panels (Consumer Decision Journey and the 500-member Global SMB Panel)
- Social @ McKinsey, which helps clients find real business value from social media.
- Partnerships, such as OMEX (a collaboration with Google to measure online responses across the Consumer Decision Journey)
McKinsey's Consumer Marketing Analytics Center (CMAC) accelerates your ability to capture the potential of big data by driving insights from advanced analytics into action across your marketing and consumer-facing organization. CMAC's global team of 130 advanced analytics practitioners have deep expertise in data, approaches, proprietary tools, client industries, and best practices for organizational transformation. In addition to digital marketing, CMAC delivers impact in pricing, promotions, customer life-cycle management, and assortment-optimization programs across retail, consumer goods, banking, insurance, telecom, media, and health-care organizations. To support our advanced analytic work we can host client data in our ISO-certified data center in Atlanta. CMAC has high-quality, cost-efficient advanced analytics-offshoring capabilities through our India and Poland-based Centers of Competence.