Traditional roles in the consumer technology value chain are blurring as the convergence of devices, software, services and content become a reality. This largely consumer-focused momentum is setting a pace of innovation that is impacting both the consumer and enterprise worlds.
McKinsey has seen many of these changes firsthand, and has deep experience in helping traditional players and new entrants secure and expand their market positions.
The consumer group in our High Tech Practice works with companies to help them identify and understand the technological innovations, market changes and new business models emerging in the consumer space. Our insight into what drives performance in consumer technology is based upon our direct work with more than 60 percent of the global leaders in this area, including all types of consumer electronics and device manufacturers as well as software and service providers.
McKinsey’s expertise in consumer technology is expansive and includes all sub-categories and functions. We help clients build specific capabilities that improve their competitive position and operational performance.
Examples of what we do:
- Pinpoint the unmet needs and expectations of consumer segments in established and emerging markets to grow market share
- Optimize product development and manufacturing processes to increase returns on R&D spend and reduce costs
- Collaborate more effectively with business and channel partners to maximize the value generated from all parties
- Refine pricing strategies to reshape and expand revenue models, including monetizing mobile services and other offerings
- Refine retail strategies and store formats to reposition channel-value propositions and increase sales
Our consumer team is led by 60 partners across the globe, and the diversity of their expertise mirrors the breadth of the consumer landscape. The leadership includes professionals who together bring decades of industry and functional experience in areas critical to consumer high tech, including strategy, operations, R&D and product development, supply-chain management, and customer attraction, conversion and retention.
Proprietary tools and insights
McKinsey has a number of ongoing research initiatives targeted at companies in the consumer sector. Among our original research are:
- The Consumer Decision Journey. This global survey of more than 15,000 consumers generates insights into how they research and purchase electronics, telco services, and wireless service products.
- iConsumer. This annual research effort quantifies and evaluates current and emerging consumer digital experiences across networks and devices. The research also focuses on behavior patterns by customer segment and revenue potential.