Consumer decisions—including lifestyle choices, adherence to treatment regimens, and the selection of providers, payors, and medications – are key drivers of demand and overall spending in healthcare. Consumer healthcare markets are growing rapidly, and healthcare players face opportunities to offer new products and services, as well as dramatically improve the value of their existing businesses.
We help clients better understand consumer behaviors, beliefs, and barriers to action; how these shape customer needs and responses to healthcare products, services, and interventions; and how to develop strategies to capture value through consumer-centered healthcare.
What we do
Drawing upon expertise from McKinsey's Marketing & Sales Practice, we help our clients transform their performance in areas such as marketing, consumer acquisition, customer relationship management (CRM), care management, chronic disease management, adherence, self-care, prevention, and wellness.
We serve all healthcare stakeholders, including insurers, providers, pharmacy or pharmacy benefit managers (PBMs), retailers, and health authorities. We bring a complete perspective on consumer needs and experiences. We help our clients:
- Build comprehensive consumer strategies and shift to consumer-focused business model and mindset
- Identify and capture the most valuable consumer segments and use new distribution channels
- Develop growth strategies based on new consumer-oriented products and services
- Deploy behavior change approaches in conjunction with risk-based consumer segmentation to reduce costs for payors associated with lifestyle-related conditions such as smoking and obesity
- Identify and implement innovative approaches to engage patients and consumers to improve adherence to treatment regimens and outcomes
- Develop tailored online health products for providers, refining their online health value proposition to better meet the preferences and needs of specific consumer segments
Proprietary tools and insights
We conduct leading-edge research to help clients create and execute consumer-centered care strategies. Recent projects include the following:
- Consumer Health Insights 2011 Survey: This survey, with more than 12,500+ respondents, focused on understanding consumer needs, preferences, and likely decision-making in a post-reform environment. The survey data have helped payors identify and develop strategies to engage with high-value consumers and to make decisions about product, network, marketing, channel, and utilization.
- NM Incite, a joint venture with the Nielsen Company that gathers data from social media in 13 countries to track trends in consumer perceptions, helps clients make better product development and marketing decisions.
Our teams also bring to clients innovative proprietary tools and models, including these examples:
- Exchange simulation: This combines of strategic war-gaming and an online consumer panel to replicate the post-reform environment in the United States, including projections of how local market competitors are likely to compete and how consumers are likely to make decisions.
- Individual book teardown: We conduct a deep dive into current business performance, highlighting opportunities to improve consumer lifetime value by optimizing channels, products, and segment focus.
- Consumer life-cycle management: Teams introduce distinctive capabilities to acquire and retain high lifetime-value consumers now and post-reform, and they build client capabilities over time.
- Engaging consumers to create behavior change: We deploy consumer insights through advanced market research techniques, such as consumer ethnographies, to help payors develop consumer-directed programs to inspire self-care, management of chronic illnesses, and preventive behaviors.