Our technology and information strategy consultants take an objective top management approach to supporting executives at healthcare organizations on technology and performance transparency issues. We partner with our clients to enhance IT strategy and group performance, increase technology enablement of key business functions such as finance and marketing, promote clinical performance transparency, and help healthcare executives get the most from their IT and analytics investments.
We have helped healthcare organizations deploy performance management tools and enhanced analytics across the enterprise and for key functions, increasing transparency and allowing managers to identify new market opportunities as well as target areas for improvement.
In addition, we partner with a wide range of healthcare organizations to address IT operational issues, including architecture and infrastructure utilization, adoption of lean IT processes, application management, and IT outsourcing/offshoring.
Examples of our work
We have substantial experience serving healthcare organizations in the public and private sectors. Recent projects include:
- Helping a nonprofit organization develop a comprehensive health IT strategy and secure funding for its implementation, with the primary goal of increasing the adoption of electronic health records by organizations throughout the United States
- Developing a new IT organization design and enhanced governance processes for a fast-growing regional healthcare system to better align the IT function with business strategy, improve IT service levels, and establish a performance management culture within the IT group
- Supporting the design and implementation of an effective business intelligence unit at a payor organization, including identifying data management processes and analytic capabilities required to meet business requirements and the expectations of external stakeholders
- Working with a national healthcare system to drive transparency throughout the system by identifying desired provider behavior changes, determining the best metrics to track behavior change, and then measuring and sharing them to encourage better performance
Who we are
Our global community of business technology and healthcare consultants is committed to working with healthcare executives on their most challenging technology issues. As members and leaders of McKinsey teams assisting healthcare organizations, our technology and healthcare consultants bring diverse experience to their projects, having previously served as CIOs, equity analysts, software developers, healthcare experts, and technology entrepreneurs.
Proprietary tools and insights
Many governments and healthcare companies grapple with improving care and containing costs. McKinsey has invested in research and assets to help them achieve these goals. Unique healthcare tools and insights include the following:
- McKinsey Advanced Healthcare Analytics, a dedicated team of experts in analytics, economics, and healthcare reform who develop simulations to model the potential impact of industry evolution on consumers, payors, and providers
- The Value Assurance 360 Project Assessment, which ensures that public-sector IT-enabled projects deliver their potential and maintain impact by helping teams manage stakeholders, master technology and content, build teams and capabilities, and excel in core project management practices
- The Healthcare System IT Diagnostic, which helps assess healthcare system IT capabilities, identify opportunities to use technology better, and quantify the potential impact of proven solutions