The internship program is the best opportunity to explore management consulting at McKinsey. The typical duration and timing is 8–12 weeks in the summer, though in some cases, there may be opportunities to intern for fewer weeks, or during the spring or fall (this is dependent on the office and the availability of the intern). The intern works on a client engagement as a member of a McKinsey team over this duration. At the end of the internship, the office will generally make a decision as to whether or not to extend the intern a permanent offer. As important, the intern can make a more informed decision in regards to pursuing management consulting in the long term.
If you are an APD (advanced professional degree) candidate based in the U.S., please note the following information regarding 2016 internship applications:
- in order to be eligible, you must be finishing your program in 2017
- if you are currently a medical intern, resident or fellow planning to complete your program in 2017 or 2018, you may apply for an internship now
- JD students interested in a summer position following their 1L or 2L years should apply by the December 7th deadline.
- please note that non-MBA Masters students applying for an internship should have completed their undergraduate degree before July 1, 2013. If you have completed your undergraduate degree after this date, please apply for a summer Business Analyst position
- Start your on-line application