These practice case studies will help you understand what to expect in the case interviews. While our interviewers have a good deal of flexibility in creating the cases they use in an interview, the cases we’ve selected are representative of the ones many of our interviewers use.
Things to keep in mind
- Most questions in a case study do not have a single right answer
- In a live case interview, we are more interested in your explanation of how you arrived at your answer, not just the answer itself
- An interviewer can always assess different but equally valid ways of approaching an issue, and then bring you back to the particular line of inquiry that he or she wants to pursue
- In a live case interview, there will be far more interaction with the interviewer than this exercise allows; for example, in a live interview you will have the opportunity to ask clarifying questions
- Although there is no time limit in this practice exercise, a live case interview would typically be completed in 25-30 minutes, depending on how the case evolves
The “Helpful hints” provide you with tips and reminders on how to develop a good response.