Our teams move fast to help clients stabilize crises and deliver an integrated response while maintaining performance.
We have worked on 30 of the world’s largest crises over the past 5 years—including natural disasters, disease outbreaks, market disruptions, and operational incidents. We help business and government leaders take immediate control of the crisis situation, stabilize their organizations, and accelerate and deliver on recovery.
Key to the value we bring is our deep understanding of how crises unfold. We know what the breakpoints are and act preemptively to protect them—containing problems before they blow up and proactively managing critical stakeholders. We then look to the future, helping clients find and fix the root cause of the crisis or mitigate against future events, and ensure they recover stronger than before.
What we do
Five things distinguish our work:
- Unique know-how, honed through experience in dozens of crises. Our teams, including senior advisers with deep institutional, government, and military experience, have helped business and government leaders manage many serious crises and their aftermath. Across every major industry and region, we understand how crises unfold. We are uniquely placed to help clients foresee the impact of their crisis-response decisions, and we bring tried-and-tested skills and tools to help them quickly restore performance, return to stability, and tailor interventions for rapid and effective recovery.
Rapid mobilization. We activate a specialized crisis-response team within 24 hours, integrating all the types of support needed—operational, reputational, financial, regulatory, and market. We move fast to help our clients establish a central control room to coordinate every aspect of the response and work with them to maneuver through the critical decisions that can lead them out of the crisis.
Integrated, top-leadership perspective. We provide the judgment, strategic tool kits, global experience, and integrated point of view required to be true counselors to business heads and government leaders. We help our clients bring together multiple internal functions and external providers around one central plan, along the entire crisis life cycle. We also help leaders shape clear crisis-response messages, prioritize resources, and deploy key talent where it is needed most.
Powerful, proprietary tools. We have developed a powerful suite of crisis-response methodologies and solutions. These help clients set up best-practice crisis-control rooms in a matter of hours or days, rapidly assess the effect of crises on their cash flow, and pinpoint the stakeholders with the greatest potential impact in resolving or deepening the crisis. Our scenario-building tools help forecast how the crisis might unfold—and prepare preemptive actions. Our recovery program templates and rapid design tools ensure accelerated long-term recovery.
Focus on the future. Drawing on our expertise in every major industry, we help our clients find and address the root cause of the crisis—not just the immediate problem. We shape change programs that build resilience and aim to minimize future risks so clients recover stronger than before. Our support includes rapid design and implementation of new business capabilities and processes—ranging from claims processing to complex capital repair to climate resilience strategies—to rebuild performance and stakeholder trust.
Examples of our work
Recent examples of our work include:
- helping a leading global resources company recover from a major operational failure that had severely harmed its reputation and put it at risk of competitive takeover. We helped bring the crisis under control, revised operational risk standards across its worldwide operations, and secured the company’s survival
- defining the crisis response organization for a leading bank facing regulatory intervention, collective employee action, and possible shutdown. We helped set up a crisis war room and then quickly migrated critical risk functions from a disparate structure to a top-down structure. Within weeks, relations with customers, employees, and regulators were stabilized
- helping public sector jurisdictions manage response, recovery and resilience planning following a major tropical storm. We helped develop and implement needs-assessment methodologies, multiyear recovery road maps and recovery financing programs across private and public infrastructure sectors in affected communities. We supported 18 months of the crisis response and recovery life-cycle, from initial response through recovery budgeting, grant program design and performance management
- working with the Red Cross to raise the impact of its relief and recovery work in the Philippines in the aftermath of Super Typhoon Haiyan, which left hundreds of thousands homeless. We helped achieve rapid improvements in planning, volunteer management, logistics and monitoring—increasing daily distribution rates by 300 percent