The Operations Excellence Program (OEP) is our early tenure program for operational transformation expertise. Faced with rapidly growing demand from clients for help in transforming the performance of their operations, we found there were simply not enough consultant and candidate profiles with the expertise needed for this challenging and essential work. In the mid-1990s, we decided to develop our own competence center through a specific 'Operations Excellence Program'.
In this two-year training program, we develop our junior consultants to become specialists with an emphasis on operational topics in one of our service lines: manufacturing, product development, purchasing & supply management, supply chain management, service operations, and capital productivity. Unique in the consulting industry, the OEP imparts comprehensive knowledge about lean operations—both in theory and practice. Throughout the program, the consultants work closely with clients at all levels of seniority in many different industries. Over the past ten years, this hugely successful program has been expanded to nine training locations in EMEA: London, Lyon, Hamburg, Munich, Gothenburg, Madrid, Moscow, Johannesburg, and Dubai. Further Operations Excellence Programs are running in Latin America and Asia.
Your experience on the Operations Excellence Program
During your time on the OEP you will work on client engagements, like any other McKinsey consultant. You will play an active role in problem solving for clients: identifying issues, forming hypotheses, designing and conducting analyses, synthesizing conclusions into recommendations, and helping to implement change. You will gain leading-edge operations and consulting skills, primarily through on-the-job coaching as you work alongside other consultants, complemented by the OEP's structured capability building program.
Along with other members of the OEP community, you will dedicate one day a week to functional training and knowledge development under the leadership of our operations experts. You will follow a curriculum based on operations excellence themes and advanced training in one of six specific areas of operations: capital productivity, manufacturing, product development, purchasing, service operations, or supply chain management. All activities are accompanied by our operations experts, who have extensive experience in operations and who often had a strong career in management in various companies before joining McKinsey.
The OEP will offer you exceptional growth opportunities:
- a training program designed to develop the global operations leaders of the future
- close mentoring from operations experts in our global network of over 750 operations consultants and practitioners
- tenure-specific learning plus operations functional training and basic training for all functional practices at McKinsey, including marketing, technology, and corporate finance
- participation in the development of new operations knowledge: synthesizing and generalizing the tools and concepts proven in client engagements.
Upon completion of the program, successful consultants will join our global group of leading experts in operational excellence. Already today, we have OEP graduates working at all levels of the firm, from associate to partner.
Who you are
- You should have an excellent university degree with a technical or business specialization.
- You should demonstrate outstanding analytical and conceptual skills, initiative, creativity, and the ability to work well alone and in a team.
- In addition, you have gained initial professional experience in an area of operations (capital productivity, manufacturing, product development, purchasing, service operations, or supply chain management).
- You are passionate about operational excellence.
If you are looking for an opportunity to apply your skills, experience, and passion to real problems in a challenging and highly varied environment, a transition to consulting might be the right step for you.
How to apply
McKinsey invites applications for consulting positions throughout the year. If you would like to apply for a position in the Operations Practice or the OEP, please apply online.