Our holistic approach includes building targeted capabilities and then guiding individuals to translate what they have learned into their daily work processes to solve business problems more effectively. Although each client's program is custom built, they are all based on these core principles:
- focus on the capabilities and behaviors linked to those factors that drive value for the business
- address both organizational and individual capability-building needs
- tailor programs to an organization’s unique starting point and specific requirements
- leverage real work complemented by experiential and other learning
- scale and institutionalize capabilities through processes, tools, and people
The mix of discussion and classroom exploration, on-the-job coaching, and self-discovery ensures that participants have the opportunity to understand and practice new skills and achieve their learning goals.
To support our clients, we invest significantly in methods, assets, and infrastructure, including the following:
- a global network of capability centers and model factories provides experiential learning opportunities; programs range from brief workshops to multi-day learning events
- a library of 600 interactive in-person and 50 e-learning modules
- a network of implementation consultants and expert coaches to build business-management skills
- individual assessment tools, as well as organizational diagnostics and benchmarking
- objective performance standards that can be used as the basis for corporate certification programs
Our programs are integrated into a client organization's existing processes, from talent and performance management to line organizations' ways of working. As detailed in our case studies, our approach consistently improves bottom-line results while strengthening an organization's capability foundation.
To learn more about McKinsey Capability Building, download our brochure (PDF-3.75 MB)