Back to overview
About this practice
With platforms and channels converging, media and entertainment companies must develop and execute strategies that take advantage of an integrated and expansive landscape.
Our experience working with players across the whole media value chain—from content providers and aggregators to advertisers, distribution players, and access providers—enables us to provide integrated insights to our clients on a global basis.
What we do
Our work spans broadcast television, cable networks and multiple system operators, satellite operators, radio, music, filmed entertainment, magazines and newspapers, B2B services and publishing, digital media, consumer internet, professional sports, video games, gaming and lotteries, outdoor media, theme parks, and many performing arts.
- We work on core strategic issues such as growth, international expansion, mergers and acquisitions, and digital strategy.
- We help deliver significant impact in ad sales, pricing, sales force effectiveness, CLM, digital marketing, and social media.
- We can help with operational improvements in supply chain management, distribution, production, vendor management, channel management, and newsroom operations.
Who we are
McKinsey has more than 250 media-focused consultants led by 80 partners around the world. Many of our consultants previously held senior positions with leading media companies, and our partners serve on the boards of media industry associations, councils, and institutions. A global knowledge team of specialized professionals draws upon industry sources as well as proprietary McKinsey tools to research industry trends and emerging issues.
We also draw upon the extensive expertise of our High Tech, Telecom, Marketing & Sales, and Operations practices to bring a holistic perspective on the consumer experience, insights from other industries, and disruptive technologies that will transform business models.
Research and insights
McKinsey invests significant resources to develop unique insights and tools for our media clients, often in collaboration with industry partners. Examples include:
- NM Incite, a global joint venture with The Nielsen Company to help companies harness the power of social media intelligence
- Ad Sales Survey, a survey benchmarking sales organization performance across multiplatform sales, talent management, sales and channel management, and sales support
- The SMB Survey, conducted with more than 1,200 small and medium local advertisers to identify needs and behaviors across platforms
- iConsumer, a comprehensive survey of digital behaviors across multiple platforms (high tech, media, telecom) and in multiple countries
- A Marketing ROI Survey that creates an aggregate view of how global marketing spend is allocated and how companies measure and improve marketing ROI
- The Consumer Decision Journey, an ongoing mapping and analysis tool that compares consumer brand performance and buying factors across marketing stages
- Web 2.0 Global Survey, an annual report that describes how companies are using next generation web capabilities to improve their businesses. Download the full report (PDF–413 KB)