Back to overview
About this practice
Corporations and consumers are relying more heavily than ever on technology to achieve commercial and personal goals. This has made high-tech products and services indispensable, yet more commoditized. Short product lifecycles have become even more condensed, with rapid innovation driving dynamic change, contributing to a market characterized by a steady stream of new entrants, and consolidation of existing players. Within this dynamic environment, McKinsey helps our clients address challenges and opportunities by working with them to find the answers that matter most.
What we do
McKinsey’s global High Tech Practice works with clients in all areas of the rapidly evolving high-tech industry, across all areas of the value chain and in all phases of the product lifecycle.
We have conducted more than 2,000 client engagements since 2005. This broad experience provides us with unique insight into industry-specific issues, allowing us to help both early-stage and established companies shape their business strategies and implement solutions that drive impactful change.
We help our clients with critical issues primarily in strategy, operations, and marketing and sales management. Our experienced teams:
- Assist and serve the consumer and enterprise sectors, as well as component manufacturers and distributors, to refine strategies, develop delivery models, and improve operations and other core business functions to deliver positive impact.
- Assist venture capital and private equity clients to identify promising opportunities in which to invest and improve the performance of their portfolio companies.
- Help companies within the high-tech industry improve business performance and optimize product and service delivery.
Who we are
Our high-tech group is led by more than 250 dedicated partners and associate partners who work alongside more than 500 consultants serving high-tech companies worldwide. We draw on the expertise of the firm around the world and across all functional areas—from supply chain to human resources—to bring additional insights to our clients. Many of our high-tech consultants have worked in high-tech companies prior to joining McKinsey, and/or have advanced degrees in mathematics, engineering, and physics.
Research and insights
McKinsey also invests significantly in conducting primary research and developing leading-edge industry insights. Examples include:
- The Consumer Decision Journey, an ongoing mapping and analysis that compares consumer brand performance for major tech companies across marketing stages.
- Web 2.0 Global Survey, an annual report that captures how companies are using next generation web capabilities to improve their businesses.
- Green Data Centers, an ongoing examination of how data center users and the broader tech community can tackle the increasing energy consumption of centers’ impact on the environment.